This is a scenic street which has been carefully restored and displays some of the Karoo’s architecture in the Karoo cottages which have been decorated with brightly painted shutters and doors. The homes on this street were the homes of the emancipated slaves.
Captain Charles Lennox Stretch came to the Graaff-Reinet colony in 1819, during the fifth Frontier War. He was appointed as government land-surveyor. In 1855 he purchased land and divided it into plots which were transferred to coloured labourers and emancipated slaves.
A century later the cottages were in despair and the Historical Homes acquired them and restored them. Currently, the buildings are utilised by the Drostdy Hotel for accommodation.